The LafargeHolcim Foundation for Sustainable Construction was created in 2003 to raise awareness of the important role that architecture, engineering, urban planning and the building industry have in achieving a more sustainable future. It is an initiative of LafargeHolcim, and expresses its commitment to sustainable development
Flagship of the Foundation is the LafargeHolcim Awards for Sustainable Construction. It is the world’s most significant competition for sustainable design. It rewards projects and visionary concepts that go beyond balancing environmental performance, social responsibility, and economic growth, thereby exemplifying architectural excellence and a high degree of transferability. Each competition cycle spans three years, from announcement to completion and a total of USD 2 million in prize money is awarded.
The LafargeHolcim Awards competition for projects and visions from architecture, engineering, urban planning, materials science, construction technology, and related fields has two categories:
- LafargeHolcim Awards main category for exemplary projects in sustainable construction at an advanced stage of design. This category is open to everyone.
- LafargeHolcim Awards Next Generation category for visionary design concepts and bold ideas in sustainable construction. This category is restricted to authors up to 30 years of age.
- The 6th International LafargeHolcim Awards competition is open for entries until February 25, 2020. (New window)
- More information on the LafargeHolcim Awards for Sustainable Construction(New window)
- Access the Awards entry form(New window)
- Download step-by-step guide on how to enter a project(New window)
- Questions and answers related to the Awards competition(New window)
- Helpdesk for questions related to the Awards competition
- Details on the “target issues” for sustainable construction(New window)
- Have a look at the previous LafargeHolcim Awards prize winning projects (New window)
The LafargeHolcim Forum for Sustainable Construction is a tri-annual series of conferences on a specific topic of sustainable construction, conducted in collaboration with the Foundation’s associated universities. The multi-day event is an academic platform for architects, engineers, planners, and construction specialists of all generations and geographic locations.
In addition, the LafargeHolcim Forum provides master and PhD students appointed by the Foundation’s associated universities with an opportunity to network with some of the world’s leading professionals. This dialog brings the visions of young professionals to the symposium. Each LafargeHolcim Forum is complemented by the release of academic publications. Since its inception, the Foundation has conducted six Forums. The 6th International LafargeHolcim Forum, dedicated to the topic of “Re-materializing Construction”, was hosted by the American University in Cairo (AUC), Egypt. It took place from April 4 to 6, 2019.
- Find out about the LafargeHolcim Foundation Forums(New window)
- Read more on the 6th International LafargeHolcim Forum(New window)
The LafargeHolcim Foundation seeks to globally interlink knowledge and to encourage sustainable responses to the built environment. It promotes outstanding approaches to sustainable construction via print and online publications, maintains a comprehensive Internet presence, and engages on social media.
- View the publications of the LafargeHolcim Foundation(New window)
- View all news of the LafargeHolcim Foundation(New window)
Keeping in touch and up-to-date
The LafargeHolcim Foundation for Sustainable Construction regularly sends out updates on its programs and activities. Personal data is handled responsibly, diligently and in compliance with all legal requirements. State of the art professional standards are applied to protect the integrity and security of personal data.